Welcome to Week 2 of Freezer Cooking Weekly! This week we’ll be cooking up some chickens to add to the freezer stash.
I love the convenience of having a freezer full of meals for those busy days. However, my schedule right now just doesn’t include time to spend a full day or 2 of nothing but cooking. I still want to take advantage of the stock up sales and the abundance of beautiful produce in Alabama right now so I plan to do a modified version of freezer cooking than what I’m used to.
I will choose 1-2 things per week and prepare it to add to my freezer. I would love it if any of you joined along! If you missed last week check out Freezer Cooking Weekly: Black Beans .
Last week I asked you to grab some chickens that were on sale. I ran into a little glitch this week because my Publix was all out. I did get a rain check though so I will be joining you all with it early this week. Here’s the plan:
Freezer Cooking This Week: Whole Chicken
- If you have a crockpot or 2 this will be so easy. If not that’s ok you can just cook them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1 – 1 1/2 hr or until juices run clear.
- I will be using the recipe here for Crockpot Sticky Chicken for starters.
- Don’t forget to take the bag out of the inside of the chicken before you cook it.
- Once they’re done let them cool.
- Pull all the meat off the chicken and separate into Freezer bags (about 2 cups each)
- Throw all the bones & skin into a stockpot(or back into the crockpot). Add 6-8 Cups of Water plus a little salt & pepper to taste.
- Let the stock simmer for 1-2 hrs. When it’s done strain out the bones & fat and you’ll have some wonderful chicken stock.
- You can bag up the stock into 2 cup portions or take it a step further and make Cream of Chicken Soup for casseroles. I use this recipe for Homemade Condensed Cream of chicken Soup.
Of course you can also have Chicken Salad, Wraps, burritos, etc.
Next Week’s Freezer Cooking Head’s Up:
Next week I will be a little more ambitious. You can do any or all of this with me. I’ll be buying Peaches, Potatoes, and Ground Chuck for next week’s freezer cooking. Winn Dixie has the best prices on these items till Tuesday.